Topics in Programming Languages: User Interfaces for Programming Languages
CMSC 32001 (Spring 2020) | Ravi Chugh | sometime/somewhere
Our reading list will closely kind of follow (a subset of topics from) Cyrus Omar's UI for PL course.
- Required: Read the papers before class.
- Optional: Send paper summaries before class.
- Required for elective credit: Course project, arranged with instructor.
Meeting 1: Inventing on Principle (W Apr 08, 8:30pm)
- Doing with Images Makes Symbols (1987: Alan Kay) [ part 1 | part 2 ]
Meeting 2: Live Programming Environments (W Apr 15, 8:30pm)
Meeting 3: Live Programming / Program Visualization (W
Apr 22 Apr 29 May 6, 8:30pm)
Meeting 4: Live Programming / Direct Manipulation (W May 13, 8:30pm)
Meeting 5: Live Programming / Program Visualization (W May 20, 8:30pm)
Meeting 6 (W May 27, 8:30pm)
Meeting 7: Visual Programming (W Jun 3, 8:30pm)
Meeting 8: Spreadsheets (W Jun 10, 8:30pm)
Meeting 9: Project Demo
Miscellaneous Reading List
Live Programming / Programming by Demonstration / Direct Manipulation
- Programming through Pictorial Transformations (ICCL 1988: Hsia, Ambler)
- Construction and Dynamic Manipulation of Icons (WVL 1988: Hsia, Ambler)
- Marquise: Creating Complete User Interfaces by Demonstration (INTERCHI 1993: Myers, McDaniel, Kosbie)
- Directness and Liveness in the Morphic UI Construction Environment (UIST 1995: Maloney, Smith)
- Fudgets: Purely Functional Processes with Applications to GUIs (1998: Carlsson, Hallgren) [ webpage ]
- Past, Present and Future of User Interface Software Tools (TOCHI 2000: Myers, Hudson, Pausch)
- Example-Centric Programming: Integrating Web Search into the Dev. Env. (CHI 2010: Brandt, Dontcheva, Weskamp, Klemmer)
- The Moldable Inspector (Onward! 2015: Chis, Nierstrasz, Syrel, Girba)